There are many aspects of digital marketing but in this post I'm going to show you only the most important and effective ones; social media and SEO. Below I'm going to share some of the tips for marketers to kick start their careers.
SEO – Search Engine Optimization
If you are already running an Internet marketing campaign or are about to embark on it, one concept you can’t afford to skimp on is search engine optimization. SEO is one of the most in-demand and buzz word in online business, but unfortunately, most Internet marketers simply do not know enough about it to make this strategy work for them. So here are some essential points to consider.
• A blog is a winning addition to your business website. It can help boost your site’s SEO, demonstrate your knowledge and expertise, and set you apart from the competition.
• A business blog is useless unless you create regular and sharable content to help prove relevance and therefore, rank in search engines.
• Optimize your Google+ Local page to help your company name, phone number, location, and even opening hours show up in Google Maps and Google’s local search results.
• Much like Google+ Local, Yelp is a platform which gives you the ability to post information about your business. Best thing is that it helps feed Apple Maps with local business results.
• Include geo-specific keyword phrases, such as your neighborhood, city, and zip codes, in your blog, website, and even social media to appear often in search results.
• Don’t only promote blog posts once. Repurpose them as engaging quotes, images, or questions in order to generate extra shares, views, and subject relativity.
• Enable Google Authorship to help build your personal brand. By establishing yourself as a subject matter expert, you can generate more shares and drive more traffic to your website.
• Try to generate positive reviews with high rankings to help persuade consumers to choose your business. Since positive reviews easily rank in search engine results.
• Once you receive positive reviews, promote these on your website, forums and online communities so that consumers who look for your business on social sites or local web directories can see the great things other individuals say about your business.
• Images can help sell your business, and they also rank in search engines. Don’t leave your images as “untititled.jpg” instead name them clearly, add alt text and captions so your images can appear in image results when someone type the relevant keyword(s).
• Readers can easily publish your content to their social media pages if you’ve enabled share buttons on your blog. It can help drive thousands of visitors just from the social media.
SMM – Social Media Marketing
These days, virtually every company relies on social media sites like Twitter, Google+ and Facebook. Visual content captures more attention from users than text-based posts when it comes to advertising on these channels. A study revealed about the timeline feature of Facebook that after implementing it the engagement in photos and videos increased by a whopping 65%. That’s the reason Facebook bought Instagram.
Apart from Instagram, another photo-sharing website is gaining popularity in the digital marketing. Recent data shows that Pinterest generated far more referral traffic to websites than YouTube, LinkedIn and Google+ combined.
So, visuals are not only more enjoyable to browse through, but they are very easy to share also. Shareability is a key factor in social media and brand awareness.
As a marketer you’ve to decide how to promote your product and services and what platforms to use, for example if you’re are selling to a younger audience, like young professionals and teens, consider sharing on sites like Instagram, Twitter, and Pinterest as these are the sites young people mostly use.
• Before you make a social media post or comment, think, review, and review again. The ability to easily take screenshots makes it difficult to take back a social media mistake.
• Since your staff members also represent your brand, both in person and online, implementing a social media policy is safe and permits them from sharing internal information.
• Make sure you know the origin of a #hashtag before you use it on your social media. Not doing so can potentially cause social media regrets.
• Like it or not, you “share” your brand on social media. Make sure to set up alerts so that you can always know if someone is talking good or bad about your product or services.
With the marketing landscape evolving faster every year, this is an enjoyable yet confusing time for marketers and small-business owners in a rush to keep up with the latest marketing opportunities. We need to remember to consider both old and new marketing tools and to create the perfect marketing mix for our companies. The strategies outlined are just a few of the many, but in marketing, if you remember the past as well as embrace the future you're setting yourself up for success.